Wednesday, May 27, 2009

SURPRISE!!!

So, today I was able to go to my first welcome home ceremony (turned out being four of them) at the Hall of Champions (and later on the field) on post. No one we knew was really expected in (at the first one), so Brad was there to hand out candy bars, and I was there to video tape it. The bleachers were filled with wives and children anxiously awaiting the arrival. Signs were hung around the gym, families had hand made and custom ordered signs, little children ran around with "Welcome Home Dad" shirts, women were dressed and coiffed and nervous. The whole atmosphere was one of intense anticipation. As the doors opened, Toby Keith's "Red, White, and Blue" began playing, and screams and cheers echoed through the room. More than a hundred soldiers walked in in ranks, and the room was wild with people calling out, trying to find their loved one in the crowd. I was filming and taking in the moment, not looking for anyone in particular, but still moved by the moment. Both the German and American national anthems were played, a prayer was said, and a speech given (the best kind - less than 30 seconds long!). The first kiss was announced, and the soldier ran to his wife and I was already tearing up seeing that. Then the call came - "DISMISSED!"

The room exploded. Children raced off the bleachers, wives ran, there were hugs and kisses and Brad handing out chocolate bars and shaking hands, and I was filming, and then - there was Nellie. Running up to me, hugging me, and on the video all you see is wild movement and the sound of unintelligible screams and squeals. We hugged, and it was the greatest hug I can ever remember. She had seen me as soon as she walked into the room, I hadn't seen her till she was right there, and we were crying and squealing and so happy to be together again. I was so glad that we were there, to be there for her to come back to, and to hug her over and over. Eventually we calmed down enough to be able to speak clearly. SHE'S BACK!!!

The other ceremonies on the field were similar. I cannot explain the feelings that overwhelmed me as I stood there and watched the soldiers come through the gate and file onto the field, as they saluted the flag and stood for the anthems, as they answered the officers giving speeches. I cannot explain the look on the face of the woman who won 'first kiss,' or of the little girl who sobbed as she held Daddy's face in her hands for the first time in over a year. Pride, joy, gratitude, relief, so many emotions were pouring out of everyone there, even those of us who didn't have someone specific to welcome home. These are our heroes, and they are returning at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails