Saturday, May 16, 2009

2 Days

Only two days left in the United States of America. The last week has flown by, and yet whenever I think of how far I still am from the Festaburg, every minute seems to be dragging. Even though I know there is still a lot to be done - like packing, for instance - I feel so ready to just BE there already. Soldiers are coming home, spring is spreading over Germany, friends are writing and making plans, things are coming together, and I am still more than 6000 miles away.

I got an e-mail from a friend yesterday that made me want to be there even more. As the soldiers come home, Baumholder puts on a (very) small ceremony, at which family are present and one wife is selected to receive the 'first kiss,' and then the soldiers are finally allowed to hug their wives and children after more than a year apart. My friend e-mailed me with their hopeful arrival, and said, "I don't expect anybody to be able to make it to our little return reception in the gym, but it would be really cool to have somebody to hug when we get back to Baumholder, if the circumstances present themselves." So many of these guys and girls don't have anyone on post to come back to - what family they may have is back in the States. This is where ministry happens: just being there to welcome them home, to thank them, to support and love and pray for and laugh with and hug them. This is why I am so excited to get there, before I miss anyone else coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails