Monday, March 3, 2008

Train Travel

"Tomorrow's going to be quite the day" hahahahaha silly me. How innocently and happily I said that!

Well, all in all, my luggage probably weighs at least 180 lbs, if not as high as 200. (something I intend to work on while I'm here - what can I get rid of??) And I got to take it all the way across Germany on the trains. Well, the first train was fine, Peter helped me get it all on the train, there were no steps, and there was lots of open space for it to stand out of the way. When I got to Osnabrück, a nice lady from my first train said she had extra time, and helped me get my bags. I had to go from platform 13 to platform 2 in 5 minutes, but a very nice Schaffner (I'm not sure of the English word) opened up the service elevator for us, and we made it in plenty of time. YAY! So, Osnabrück to Mainz was my long train ride. A nice gentleman helped me get my bags up the stairs of the train and into a luggage rack. Getting off the train was an adventure, I had no one to help me, and they kind of collapsed down the stairs, but fortunately everyone was standing far enough back that no one was injured. (how embarassing!) I cannot count the times I had to tell my story to people wondering why on earth I had sooo much luggage. Well, here in Mainz I ran into some difficulties. I went to Platform 3a where my train was supposed to be, but the train I'd been on was too late. So, it said the next train to Idar came on platform 1b. Back upstairs. Nope, that train's not coming, go to 4a. Back downstairs. (fortunately, there were elevators!!) No train. Wait! 4b! AHHH there's the train, RUN FOR IT! So, I managed somehow to run with my bags, and caught the train. Managed to get my luggage on it (no stairs!!) and into a seat. Whooo. Well, then the train decided it wasn't going to go to Idar like the schedule said, it stopped in Kirn - one stop too early. So, I get off at Kirn, and it says next train to Idar-Oberstein, Platform 1. I'm on Platform 3, and there are tracks between me and my destination - and no elevators. It was a desperate moment. Somehow, I managed to get all my bags downstairs, across the tracks, and back upstairs. The handle broke off of one suitcase. But I made it.

Now, if you know me, you know I'm not exactly strong...and I tend to be kind of a wimp. This was a herculean effort for me - and I did it!! And then I saw the train - and it had steps. My arms were already shaking from their efforts, and thank the Lord some young man managed (barely - I told you they were heavy!) to get my bags on the train. He helped me get them off, and as he unloaded the second bag, there were Brad and Rob and Will, helping me, taking my burdens, and filling me with such an unbelievable sense of relief. It was over!! I made it - and I didn't have to carry those darn bags any more!! I collapsed into the back of Brad's van and was so happy to finally be there.

We came back to the Festaburg, my wonderful boyfriend carried my bags up the stairs for me, and I had 5 minutes to recoup before we rushed off to a Bible study on Post. Very fun - great people. And good food! Then it was back here, unpack a bit, and sweet, sweet sleep.


The moral of the story is: train is only my favorite way to travel if I have one suitcase or less. I NEVER, ever want to do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails