Monday, June 1, 2009

Welcome Home

Soldiers have been coming in in groups of all sizes for several weeks now. Most of the brigade is back by now, and I know I already described the ceremonies to you. Really, I think it is one of the most emotional events I've ever witnessed, except perhaps a soldier's memorial. The anticipation as everyone waits, the cheer as the soldiers enter, the building tension as the speeches and prayers are said, the relief as they're finally dismissed and home...it's incredible.

On Thursday night, Brad and I attended a ceremony at 11pm, hoping to see some more friends come in, as they were expected that night; no such luck. So, in the middle of the night, I got back in the car to go back for a 2 am ceremony. Friends who I have been e-mailing for more than a year were expected back, and I couldn't stand to miss their return. I almost missed it!! I went to the back gate, forgetting it closed at midnight, and forgetting it has a counterpart just up the hill that's open 24/7, I drove all the way back around to the front gate.

By the time I got to the Hall of Champions and parked, I could hear the music and the screaming, and I ran around and into the building just in time for the prayer and dismissal. Then it was run into the crowd and search faces until I saw them. I found Jonathan first, and he ran up to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek and a hug, and we found Sean and I got another great hug. We stood around and talked, trying to put 14 months of waiting into words. I can't really describe it. I'm so glad I was there, though - these guys have no one here to come home to, and both said often how glad they were that I was there to see them, even at 2 in the morning. I know I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Welcome Home!!

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome Laura. Glad that you could be there for them. Thanks for serving our country and our Lord!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails