Saturday, June 14, 2008

Rheinfels Castle

So, today we took 6 soldiers with us on a trip to Rheinfels Castle. At only 1/3 of its original size, the castle ruins are still enormous. We walked around for probably 3 hours and I still don't think we saw the whole thing. Probably the coolest part was when we walked down into the mines. I do believe it may have been one of the bravest things I've ever done. While not exactly claustrophobic, I do not do well underground or in the dark. I have always refused to even go in the lava tubes at home. We toured some gemstone mines in Idar-Oberstein this week, and that was fine for me - it was open and well lit with a clear trail. These were very different. You climb down some steep, dark stairs into a pitch black tunnel about 3-4 feet high and maybe 3 feet wide. You can't go in without flashlights, because it is so completely and utterly black. I felt myself about to freak out, and Mac told me to turn back NOW before I lost it 600 feet in, cause you can't really turn around. But I went on! I had Andy's hand in a vice grip and clung to the light from Mac's flashlight. You have to follow the white lines painted on the ceiling, but there was more than one point where we stopped and had to consult the map so as to avoid getting lost in all the little side tunnels. It was completely terrifying, but definitely the coolest experience of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails